According to the Bible there will be a period of time in which events will take place fulfilling prophecies concerning ‘the last days’ of this age. Here are some of them:
- There will be an increase in wars, famines, plagues and earthquakes leading to a time of great trouble on the earth. Matthew 24.6-7, Luke 21.10-11.
- The earth will be full of violence ‘as in the days of Noah’ and many people will be afraid of what is going to happen. Luke 17.26-27, Luke 21.25-6, Genesis 6.11.
- There will be immorality and wickedness ‘as in the days of Lot’ Luke 17.28, Genesis 19, Matthew 24.12, 2 Timothy 3.
- There will be pollution of the earth and problems with the environment leading to natural disasters happening. Isaiah 24, Revelation 8.6-11.
- A dictatorship will arise, suppressing opposition and bringing submission to an evil spiritual power, known in the Bible as the Beast or Antichrist. Daniel 7, Revelation 13 and 17.
- There will be an increase in knowledge which will give rise to increasing powers to control humanity through technology. Daniel 12.4, Revelation 13.
- Israel will be restored as a nation with opposition from surrounding countries leading to the last war of this age over the status of Jerusalem. Psalm 83, Ezekiel 36-9, Zechariah 12-14, Luke 21.20-24, Revelation 16.16.
- There will be false prophets who will lead people astray and cause confusion about God and salvation. Matthew 24.5, 24.23-27, Revelation 17.1-6.
- There will be an attack on the basic truths of the Bible and opposition to those who teach the Gospel. Matthew 24.10-11, 2 Timothy 4.2-5, 2 Peter 2, 1 John 2.18-23.
- The message of the Gospel will reach all nations, despite persecution. Matthew 24.9-14, Matthew 28.18-20.
For more details on this read our booklet 10 Signs of the Second Coming of Christ. Available at https://lightforthelastdays.co.uk/articles/christianity-and-the-last-days/10-signs-of-the-second-coming-of-jesus-christ/ Also in other languages at this web address.
The present age we are living in is different from all other ages because of the nature of the coming crisis (known as the great tribulation). This will throw up a series of calamities (beginning to unfold now), which will have no human solution. Without divine intervention this would lead to the end of life on earth. For details on this read the Bible, Matthew chapter 24, Luke chapter 21, Revelation chapters 6 to 19.
God will intervene with the return of Jesus the Messiah / Christ. He will come this time not as the Suffering Saviour, but as Almighty God with all power to judge the world in righteousness. According to the Book of Revelation and the Hebrew Prophets Jesus will reign in person on earth for 1000 years following His return, clearing up the mess humans have made of the planet because of our sins. See Isaiah 2.1-4, Psalm 72, Revelation 20. After the thousand years God will dissolve the present earth and universe and create a new one in which there will be eternal righteousness for all believers and hell for unbelievers. 2 Peter 3, Revelation 21.
Most people choose to scoff and mock at this idea, but that is also prophesied in 2 Peter 3.3-13.
Scoffers will come in the last days, walking according to their own lusts, and saying, “Where is the promise of His coming? For since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of creation.” For this they wilfully forget: that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of water and in the water, by which the world that then existed perished, being flooded with water. But the heavens and the earth which are now preserved by the same word, are reserved for fire until the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.
But, beloved, do not forget this one thing, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.
But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night, in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up. Therefore, since all these things will be dissolved, what manner of persons ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness, looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be dissolved, being on fire, and the elements will melt with fervent heat? Nevertheless we, according to His promise, look for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells.2 Peter 3.3-13
So don’t be a scoffer, but believe the Gospel, that Jesus is the Messiah who died for our sins and rose again from the dead to give salvation and eternal life to all believers.
Talks on this subject at The Bridge Christian Fellowship, 54, Bridge Lane, London NW11 0EH at 6.30pm. Meetings at this address every Sunday at 11 am and 6.30pm. www.bridgelane.org.uk
Also information and talks on the subject available at Light for the Last Days, Box BM – 4226, London, WC1N 3XX. www.lightforthelastdays.co.uk